Wednesday, March 28, 2007

“Broadcasting isn’t always in a Booth”

Maryland at UNC – Fox Soccer

Whenever possible they want the cameras placed where they film across the field into the main stands. That meant at UNC that the play by play (Sean Wheelock) and I were positioned high up on scaffolding between the 2 benches. The day prior to the match that would not have been a problem as it was a beautiful 84 degrees and sunny. What a difference a day can make. At kick off on Friday at 8 PM it was already 50 degrees and falling after a rain soaked day. On top of that was a steady wind blowing – you guessed it – right at us in the scaffolding? The main problem this presented for me was that it was not easy placing my notes anywhere so I was relying on memory much more than before. (For those who know me well – relying on my memory is not always a good thing. I could always remember a soccer player or a part of any game my team has ever played, but day to day memory has something to be desired).

Fortunately, both teams put on a good game which always makes it easier to commentate on. On this specific night I was able to experience (and therefore appreciate) the play by play part of announcing. We think moisture from the rain all day must have got into some of the wiring. 15 minutes into the match Sean Wheelock’s microphone did not seem to be working… As we are talking as if everything was ok, we were also looking at each wondering what was happening. Then I get the producer in my ear: “Keith – you take over…take over, now”. I am fortunate that Maryland and UNC were 2 teams I knew very well so that my 5 minutes or so of play by play was more descriptive than “the guy in red is playing it back to his teammate who is being pressured by the guy in white…”.

Technical difficulties do happen and it gave me a great appreciation of how sharp play by play guys need to be. I definitely prefer the analyst position where I only need to talk when there is something to talk about.

PS – AS one would guess in the cold and wind – the game went through 2 overtimes and ended correctly as a 1-1 draw. It was Md captain Steve King who equalized in the second half after Ben Hunter had put UNC on top after just 10 minutes into the match. Maryland Goalkeeper Chris Seitz saved the day stopping a UNC penalty kick ate in the game.

No comments: