Saturday, March 31, 2007

Scott Alexander

Scott Alexander - In Memoriam
January 18, 1971 – March 26, 2007

Coach Scott Alexander was only 36 years when a brain tumor suddenly took his life. He was the Head Coach for Magruder HS in Montgomery County, Maryland - as well as a successful youth coach in the area. I got to know Scott a couple years ago when I was his instructor at the National “C” License. Scott proved very clearly that he was a talented and enthusiastic coach as he earned his license as one of the top coaches in the course. As I sat yesterday through a moving hour and a half memorial service (held in the auditorium of Magruder HS), it was clear that I had not been lucky enough to have known him well.

In a life cut tragically short, Scott was able to touch so many people in such a lasting way. I listened to coaching colleagues, co-workers and former players and friends talk about a man who put more into 36 years than almost everyone does in twice that time. He was in education and there can be no better compliment in that field than that you were able to make a difference in the lives of young people. Scott did.

One of Scott’s former players spoke eloquently about the way his Coach affected the lives of those on his teams. All the players former and present went onto the stage and one by one lit a candle of the player next to him. This had significant meaning to the guys as it was some sort of tradition that Scott had created with his teams. To me I saw one candle’s flame brighten up as it lit up another and then another and then another. This passing of the energy of the flame is symbolic to me of the way that Scott’s life obviously strengthened those of so many people – he shared his light and brightened up the lives of so many young people.

His memory and legacy will continue to affect the lives of many. I am sorry that I did not get to know Scott better. As a coach there is nothing more gratifying than to see your players improve as a whole person. I am quite sure that the Magruder HS soccer team past, present and in the future will continue to reflect Scott’s positive energy, his integrity and his obvious care for the betterment of those around him. I noticed they wear adidas… maybe next year every time they put on their uniform they can think:
All Day I Dream About Scott … I have no doubt that his legacy will live on in them for many years to come.

Rest In Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Scott was a great guy and will be missed a lot.

Anonymous said...

Our family thanks you so very much for the honor you have given to Scott in this article.

ktsoccerworld said...

I ony just saw your post.It was certainly my honor to do so. What a great statement his Magruder players made for him this year!